>>> On 7/15/2008 at 2:39 PM, in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]
, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> Please read all the README, INSTALL and other available
>> documentation (http://ganglia.wiki.sourceforge.net) as a lot
>> of things have changed since 3.0.7. Use good deployment
>> practices when upgrading from 3.0.x to make sure that you do
>> not mix gmond 3.0 and 3.1 nodes in the same cluster (as
>> defined by a multicast address or unicast collector node).
>> The protocol that allows gmond nodes to communicate within
>> the same cluster, has changed.  However the XML packets that
>> are passed between gmond and gmetad have remained compatible
>> from 3.0.x to 3.1.x, allowing a 3.0.x gmetad to continue to
>> pull data from a newer 3.1.x gmond cluster.
>

> Carlo's email from 9 July suggested the opposite - upgrade gmetad first,
> the new gmetad would then be able to receive XML from both 3.0 and 3.1
> gmond instances.
>
> Could someone confirm which (or possibly both) case is recommended
> and/or likely to work?

Either will work.  Ganglia 3.1 versions of gmond have added new XML tags that
are just silently ignored by the older 3.0.x gmetad.  Also if a newer 3.1
gmetad receives XML data from an older gmond cluster, it just does not pass on
any of the additional 3.1 XML data to the frontend for the 3.0.x cluster.  I
have tested both configurations and found them both to work.  But that is why
we are asking for others to test.  It is better if someone could validate my
testing as well.  I would suggest that you go with the description that Carlo
mentioned simply because it might be easier to upgrade gmetad first and then
start migrating all of your gmond clusters.

Brad