Vladimir Vuksan wrote:
> I used ganglia.spec file I used with 3.1.2 and just changed the
> version. I determined that the difference is this
>
> < %configure --with-gmetad
> ---
>> %configure --with-gmetad --enable-status --sysconfdir=%{conf_dir}
>
> That is why I see the problem. If you run configure without
> --sysconfdir Makefile sets sysconfdir to /etc which apparently is
> different than 3.1.2 since I didn't have a problem with 3.1.2 :-(.
That is default behaviour for rpmbuild (not a Makefile issue), but our
new spec file does work around this

However, you are probably not the only person who will have a custom
spec file, and we could potentially tweak configure to make sure
existing spec files do work as expected.  Unfortunately, fixing things
like sysconfdir in configure.in is not good practice.

Look in your BUILD/ganglia-3.1.4 directory (created by rpmbuild) and you
will find config.log - that will show you the exact command line that
rpmbuild gives to configure (as a consequence of the %configure macro).
You will probably notice that it has --sysconfdir=/etc somewhere, and
later on it has --sysconfdir=/etc/ganglia (if you use the new spec
file), which overrides the first instance

So, it is actually rpmbuild that is making /etc the default, as a
consequence of ganglia.spec invoking %configure

In previous versions, --sysconfdir didn't matter, no matter what you set
it to, because paths were hard coded everywhere.

I propose we go ahead and release, now that we've generalised it with
sysconfdir, I'd rather avoid introducing stuff in configure that goes
against best practice.

That said, we could modify configure to check (but not change)
sysconfdir, and if it is just /etc, bail out with a URL for this thread