no dice... the problem is extremely random.. and the elusive core file
isn't helping.  As I said in a previous post, it segfaults 50% of my
attempts at starting gmond 2.2.2; and strace and gdb must be delaying the
threads just enough to help them keep on keeping on.

These systems are SMP P3 1Ghz, 2G ram... it's extremely doubtful system
speed matters though

Could it be a subtle library incompatibilty? like foo-1.1.2 works but
foo-1.1.1 causes a malloc error?

Mike