On 12/14/05, Stefan Schustereit <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hello all together,
>
> since version 3.0.2 the location parameter is working again, and now I
> want to use it in our gmond configurations.
>
> I know, what a rack is. Yes, I even know, what a rank is. Maybe, I come
> out as an idiot, but what is a plane? All I could find out looking into
> my dictionaries was:

The english language is very quirky.  Don't be surprised.  There is a
reason why so many different dictionaries manage to survive - the
english language is so ... variable that usually people will buy
multiple dictionaries just to make sure they're covered.  [That
doesn't even consider translation dictionaries!]

> Airplane: fixed-wing aircraft
>
> Uhm, we have our hosts in a data center, not on the airport... is
> anybody out there to light up my lack of knowledge?

I have never tried to define these terms as such, but I've always
looked at these as simple <x,y,z> coordinates -- the word plane comes
to mind to me as a flat plane as in a floor.  So I would say that the
1st plane would be the first floor.

[Example, 3d building model; x could go out toward east-west, y could
go north-south, and z could go out into the sky.]

The math definition of a plane goes something like that, anyways...
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=plane
1. Mathematics. A surface containing all the straight lines that
connect any two points on it.
2. A flat or level surface.
<snip>
-- American Heritage(r) Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition

To my understanding, the numbers are simply for display purposes,
which can be handy, although IIRC, so long as you know what you are
representing with the numbers, they can be arbitrary.

If someone else knows better, they can correct me on this.

--
~Mike
 - Just the crazy copy cat.