On Tuesday, 23 May 2006 18:31, Alex Balk wrote:
> The only way I know of for "reclaiming" cached memory is to have an
> application generate lots of mallocs to obtain the memory used for
> cache and then free() it. I wouldn't call that a smart idea, though.

        It's possible to configure some parameters of the kernel 2.6. The ones
I remember now are the "swapiness" and the "vfs_cache_pressure" (both
of them in /proc/sys/vm/). Search the web for information on those. A
lower swapiness and higher vfs_cache_preassure forces the kernel to use
less cache and have more free memory available for application (can be
useful for a desktop for example). Optimum values depend on the
hardware configuration and on the type of workload. Just try to see
which values are better for you.

                                Miguel

--

"Until they become conscious they will never rebel,
 and until after they have rebelled they cannot become conscious."

        - George Orwell's 1984 -