Ashutok,

 you need to do a "query" if you use port 8562 (the web interface
does). What happens if you do "telnet localhost 8561". That should give
you the complete gmetad XML stream.

 Is the rrdroot directory writable to the owner of the "gmetad"
process? It should belong to e.g. "nobody". This is a common mistake.

cheers
Martin