I too am having trouble getting the gmond collector report data of itself.
I've tried mulitple variations on the gmond.conf, but can't seem to find a
combination that works.  This is on power5 AIX 6.1 running
ganglia-gmond-3.0.7-1.

/* Feel free to specify as many udp_send_channels as you like.  Gmond
   used to only support having a single channel */
udp_send_channel {
  host = 127.0.0.1
  port = 8649
  ttl = 1
}

/* You can specify as many udp_recv_channels as you like as well. */
udp_recv_channel {
  mcast_join = 239.2.11.71
  port = 8649
//  bind = 239.2.11.71
  bind = 10.50.54.31
}

/* You can specify as many tcp_accept_channels as you like to share
   an xml description of the state of the cluster */
tcp_accept_channel {
  port = 8649
}