Hi Michael:

On Sun, Oct 10, 2010 at 8:01 PM, Mike <nano_kol...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>   I am trying to install ganglia in a single EC2 instance (Fedora x86_64
> GNU/Linux).I want to use ganglia to monitor hadoop performance. Hadoop
> installation is successful. I installed everything for ganglia(2.5.7)
> following the steps in the link in this same instance
> http://wiki.appnexus.com/display/documentation/Monitoring+Instances+Using+Ganglia

If you are starting from scratch, I would recommend you use the latest
version of Ganglia (3.1.7).  2.5.7 is really old and should be avoided
unless you need it for specific reasons.

> but using x86_64 rpms instead of i386. I havent changed anything in
> gmetad.conf except for adding this:
> data_source "unspecified" localhost.

You probably want to use a more descriptive name for your cluster than
"unspecified".

> I have the gmond.conf with all the default values, I have modified nothing
> in it.
> I also set hadoop-metrics.properties as explained in
> http://developer.yahoo.com/hadoop/tutorial/module7.html#ganglia with
> mapred.servers,dfs.servers,jvm.servers as localhost:8649
> When I view the page http://hostnameofEC2instance/ganglia. It doesn't
> display anything, it waits for sometime and says page cannot be displayed as
> it takes long time to respond.
>  I am able to start gmond,gmetad etc(service gmetad start). and can do
> telnet localhost 8649 to display the XML. Also when going on gmond
> --debug=9/gmetad --debug=9 it goes on displaying some messages.

Have you installed the ganglia-web RPM and started apache?  If so, can
you get at your apache error_logs and see if there is something wrong?

Cheers,

Bernard