Hi Mike:

When responding, please make sure you "reply-all" so that replies are
sent back to the list.  This ensures that our discussions are archived
for future users encountering the same issue, thanks!

On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 2:53 PM, Mike <nano_kol...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Thanks much for your response. I had tried installing the version 3.1 before
> but it didnt help.My instance is x86_64 and the ganglia README.txt says that
> Ganglia runs on Linux- i386, ia64, sparc, alpha, powerpc, m68k, mips,arm,
> hppa, s390t?  So I was skeptical about that. Sorry I am new to

Thanks for pointing that out.  I have recently fixed this in our
development branch (trunk) but forgot to backport it to our 3.0 and
3.1 trees.  I've just merged the changes to the 3.1 tree so the
documentation will be updated in the next 3.1 release:

https://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/ganglia/changeset/2349

> hadoop/ganglia and it would be really helpful if you can send me some
> tutorials where I can get the step by step process of installation.

Installing Ganglia under EC2 is no different from any other
environments, so any guide should suffice, for example this one:

http://www.jansipke.nl/installing-ganglia-on-centos

EC2-specific gotchas are mentioned here:

http://www.cultofgary.com/2008/10/16/ec2-and-ganglia/

I have added a link to this page in our Wiki page as well:
https://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/ganglia/wiki/ganglia_configuration

> Also my EC2 instance is not under any cluster name. So does it make sense to
> put some cluster name in gmetad.conf? Or the cluster name I put in here is
> independent of all those?

It's mostly for your reference.  What ends up being shown on the
frontend is actually "Cluster" from gmond.conf.

> Also I installed ganglia-web RPM as:
> wget -c
> http://downloads.sourceforge.net/ganglia/ganglia-web-3.1.0-1.el4.noarch.rpm
> rpm -ivh ganglia-gmetad-3.1.0-1.el4.i386.rpm
> ganglia-web-3.1.0-1.el4.noarch.rp

I can't remember if ganglia-web 3.1 is compatible with gmetad/gmond
2.5, but regardless, I think if you're just starting out, you should
use 3.1.7 across the board.  Also make sure that you have started
apache/httpd so that it will start serving pages of the frontend.

> How do I check the apache error_logs?

That is usually in /var/log/httpd.

Cheers,

Bernard