Answers are inline

On Mon, 29 Nov 2010 10:27:18 -0800, Rick Cobb <rick_c...@ieee.org> wrote:

> A couple of questions -- and maybe I should take this back to the
developer
> list.  One: the current (and your) implementation of both cluster & host
> view waste a lot of vertical space on the controls.  Especially when I'm
> looking @ a large cluster (dozens of nodes) or a lot of metrics in a
host,
> it's a nuisance to scroll to the top to get at those controls (time
> selection, metric search, etc).  Have you considered using one or
another
> of
> the floating-left-hand-side widgets to collect those?

That could be an option in the future. I'll look into it.

> Secondly, when you've combining graphs from multiple hosts into a view
> (nice
> feature!), it might be a good idea to set up the default graph titles to
> include the hostnames. Having them buried in the captions makes it
harder
> quickly see what you're looking at.

That's easy to fix. I can add text above the picture with hostname and
metric.

> Third, have you (or anybody) started to think through similar
enhancements
> at the cluster or meta-view level?  In particular, when I'm looking at a
> grid full of similar clusters, it'd be nice to be able to choose the
> summary
> metrics in meta view.  Also, when working on capacity planning, being
able
> to view the whole grid's metrics as if the grid were a single host or
> cluster (why do we collect 100s of summaries when we can only view a
few?)
> is very useful. The ability to search for a host amid 1000s is also
useful.

One of the problems is that I have tried to address use cases that scratch
a particular itch for me (and I believe tons of other people). I am sure
there are tons of other uses cases I am not seeing since I don't have
things like multigrid etc. I would hope that someone who has such a setup
could help.

> I'd suggest that your json view structures look to not have considered
> deployment in a multicluster, multigrid world.

Multicluster works because the unique identifier is hostname. I suppose
this could break if hostname is in multiple clusters. This can be addressed
but I can't see the use case where you'd put same hostname in multiple
clusters. Correct me if I'm wrong.

> I may have missed an enhancement or three dozen while hooked into the
3.0
> world for so long, but it seems like the use cases for large-scale
> deployments (many grids of dozens of clusters) need some of the same
sort
> of
> thinking as you've applied to the single-cluster, lots of hosts with
lots
> of
> metric cases..

Vladimir