To answer myself: This appears to be an artifact of clock drift (to the slow
side) in the VM. Somewhere I'd seen advice not to use ntp in a kvm vm.
Looking further I see other advice that it's okay. No idea which is right,
but resetting the clock with ntpdate and then running ntp to keep it set
results in the graphs reverting to normal appearance.

Why is a question I can't answer. It would be curious, but I've no pressing
need to understand it now that it works.

Whit