In case anybody else gets caught by this ...

>   From the 'grid --> choose a source' pulldown menu I select one of my two
> clusters
> but get a simple page stating "Sorry, you do not have access to this
> resource."

After an eventual visit to #apache, I replaced the suggested <Files
"login.php"> with
<Location /ganglia/login.php> and it now works. My
/etc/httpd/conf.d/ganglia.conf now
contains:

     Alias /ganglia /usr/share/ganglia

     SetEnv ganglia_secret xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

     <Location /ganglia>
       Require all granted
     </Location>

     #  Last match is used, so important that restricted page is
     #  placed after unrestricted pages. See
     <Location /ganglia/login.php>
       AuthType Basic
       AuthName "Ganglia Access"
       AuthUserFile /var/lib/ganglia/htpasswd
       Require valid-user
     </Location>

Credit to Unbeliever and Spiceman on Freenode's #apache.

Alexis