Robert Dewar wrote:

> Whether something is fair use has to be judged on the very specific
> instance in question, not clear to me that RMS has opined on a very
> specific issue, if so, I missed it.

We don't want to ask RMS every time we want to do this.  RMS has opined
on some of the specific cases, such as generating documentation for
command-line options from comments in the code.  He hasn't specifically
said whether he thinks it's a GPL/GFDL violation -- but nothing in what
he's said would suggest to me that he thinks it's not a violation.  In
fact, the statement that we can only run such generation scripts in the
FSF repository, since only the FSF can relicense the code, would seem to
suggest that he believes that, in general, you can't do this.

In any case, you're suggesting we go against the express wishes of the
FSF.  Would you suggest that we do that in the context of FSF GCC?

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery