Richard Kenner wrote:
>> That is true, but very often the documentation is needed in two
>> places: in the code and in the manual. Especially for things like
>> machine constraints, flags and options.
>
> Yes, but the audiences are different between users who read the manual and
> developers who read the code.

Richard, your argument is a distraction from the important issue at
hand.  Unless you posit that there is no useful way in which to generate
documentation from code (and comments therein), which seems an extreme
statement, then it is desirable that we have the ability to do that.
Right now we don't.  That's bad.

I certainly don't disagree that it might be desirable for documentation
for constraints might be different for end users and for GCC developers.
 But, there is nothing that says that both kinds of documentation might
not be located physically in the code, so that when you
add/delete/modify a constraint you can also easily update the
documentation.

And, furthermore, just because it might be desirable for the
documentation to be different for end-users and compiler developers
doesn't mean that it's practical for them to be different.  I don't see
a mob of people beating down the doors to write GCC documentation.  So,
I'm not inclined to let perfect be the enemy of good.  If we only get
one "flavor" of documentation, that's a lot better than none at all!

In any case, the key issue here isn't how we should write documentation.
 It's whether we can use a technological measure to generate
documentation if we find cases where that is desirable.  It makes no
sense for the FSF to artificially erect legal barriers to using a given
technical approach to creating documentation.  If this is really about
documentation quality, the FSF could simply have a policy saying that
GNU maintainers should not do this -- there is no reason to have a legal
prohibition preventing people from doing it!

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery