Hi,

I've prepared a beta1 of GDAL 3.9.0 to get feedback from early testers.

The NEWS file is here:

  https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/blob/v3.9.0beta1/NEWS.md

For packagers, https://gdal.org/development/rfc/rfc96_deferred_plugin_loading.html may make it more attractive to build some drivers that typically have heavy dependencies as plugins, installable in separate packages, due to the load time penalty having being improved. It is let to the appreciation of packagers to decide which drivers are worth building as plugins installable in a separate package. You may also pass CMake options ([GDAL/OGR]_DRIVER_<driver_name>_PLUGIN_INSTALLATION_MESSAGE=xxx) so user get a hint of which package they need to install when GDAL detects that a file may be opened by a plugin which is not available on the file system but known to have been built as a plugin. Cf https://gdal.org/development/building_from_source.html#deferred-loaded-plugins for more details.

For end-users, the following utilities have been updated to use a new argument parsing framework: gdaladdo, gdalinfo, gdal_translate, gdalwarp, gdal_grid, gdal_viewshed, gdalbuildvrt, nearblack, ogrinfo, ogr2ogr, sozip. This helps detecting errors such as specifying twice an argument that should be specified once (where generally the last instance was the one used). While we have tried to retain backwards compatibility for nominal use cases, obviously if you have scripts that accidentally specify an argument several times whereas it should be specified at most once, they will have to be corrected.

Docker images with 3.9.0beta1 are currently cooking.

master is now marked as 3.10.0dev, and the release/3.9 branch has been created. All bugfixes for 3.9 should be backported into it.

Source snapshots at:

- https://download.osgeo.org/gdal/3.9.0/gdal-3.9.0beta1.tar.gz
- https://download.osgeo.org/gdal/3.9.0/gdal-3.9.0beta1.tar.xz
- https://download.osgeo.org/gdal/3.9.0/gdal380beta1.zip