First Leann, I'm asking you to use a smoother way to say things. You don't have
to be harsh to expose your point of view. I can be harsh in return, no problem,
but it's really not in everyone's interest to do so.
How come Brittney said she had to pay a monthly fee from her own pocket for her
new website? Are you telling me we were paying twice for non-operational
websites? OMG...
Hey Leann, I know the difference between a forum and a website. The main thing
is: the programming language is not the same, and the costs are not the same.
All the rest is bullshit, or just unimportant.
Can't we get back the money from the website host if we choose to stop using
it? I guess that would represent a nice sum if they are to refund the fee for a
5 year period.
Everyone with some habit of websites will tell you that in spite of statistics
(most of the time, when you Google for a gecko species, you happen to have a GU
thread as the #1 result- NOT gekkota.com, sorry to say) the "old" forum as it
is, even with some improvements, still looks old and hundreds of hours would be
needed to update it fully.
Forums now have photo galleries, care sheets, portals, a classifieds system-
that's just everything we need.
Most of the contents of the old gekkota.com website can be transfered into the
forum quite rapidly. Think twice. It's always easy to criticize something which
you didn't do yourself, that's another story when it comes to action and moving
forward. Just think that most pics on gekkota.com are 10, 12 years old. Now
digital cameras allow a much better quality. That's just an example on how
outdated gekkota.com is.
Repashy? Hahahaha. Most qualified and advanced breeders will tell you his
products are not  good to feed geckos, and that he is making the worse things
ever in the Rhacodactylus genus with his crazy "high end" race to make money on
genetically deficient animals. Noobs may find it interesting to feed a gecko
just like they would feed their dog, but it is not so simple. Ask Willi Henkel,
Robert Seipp, Jon or other people with many years of experience on Rhacs and
you'll see things under a totally different angle.
Anyway, I won't argue with you, Leann. I started a motion, so let's discuss and
take the right decision altogether. As the future President, Jon has the upper
hand of what is best for our image or not. He shall be listened at prior to
anything else. Working on the old website is like wasting time and energy
unless you start it from scratch. Again, it's like putting a damper on a sick
entity. Just compare it to GU and see how far we are backwards from them. Not
saying GU is perfect, but they drain major names in the hobby and have a sort
of implicit monopole- it's not with a 10-year old website that we will change
that.
Best and with all due respect to everyone,
Hervé

Editor
 of the Global Gecko Association http://www.gekkota.com
Administrateur du forum
reptiles, rongeurs et amphibiens Les Dragons d'Asgard
http://dragonsdasgard.actifforum.com