avatar pics from members (well, with 10 Mb it is 30% filled with my 6000+
members). Otherwise, everything is just FREE for ANY quantity of text, photos,
links, banners...
Just as an example, here are my own forum stats, using exactly the same system
with a French admin pannel.

447431 messages
6303 registered membersOnline since October 24th, 2005Google rank in French for
"reptile keeping, lizards, frog keeping, geckos" and some other key words: from
#1 to # 5227.57 average messages per day3.18 new members daily14.52 new threads
every day
As for making a scrolling text to catch attention, just click in my signature
on my forum's URL and you'll see what it is possible to do. Forums like GU or
RFUK( no rude word here- Reptile forums UK) work with different, paying
interfaces allowing them a little more freedom in some domains but they are
also at risk of a financial or technical failure of their hosting system. By
the way, have a look at RFUK, how they have integrated a photo gallery and
other stuff, it's also possible with "my" interface.
PLUS, the database has the best possible protections. About 80% safe from
experienced hackers, which is just HUGE. In case the database crashes, every
word is saved on passive security servers. Very little crashes with the server,
it works perfectly 99.5% of the time.
Any website can be more or less legally "aspired", that is, there are software
enabling to drain the contents of any website (the website itself will not be
affected and the webmaster not even aware of it) so as to save it all on
somebody's hard disk. This is just IMPOSSIBLE with forums using this interface.
They have enough blocking scripts to prevent intrusions, software or malware
use, contents duplication, ect.
"gekkota.com" is a WEBSITE domain name. It cannot be used for PhpBB1 or 2 forum
interfaces. Anyway, I more than agree with Jon that the old site is not only
old and incomplete but that would be more work to try to fix everything and
modify/add whatever is necessary than starting something else from scratch.
Best,
Hervé
Editor
 of the Global Gecko Association http://www.gekkota.com
Administrateur du forum
reptiles, rongeurs et amphibiens Les Dragons d'Asgard
http://dragonsdasgard.actifforum.com