On Tue, 7 Aug 2012 22:29:18 +0200, Vladimir Nadvornik wrote:

> > > Hmm, this could be corrupted anywhere.
> >
> > My brute-force change from last year is this:
> >

> > http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/geeqie.git/plain/geeqie-1.0-vflist-refr
> > esh.patch
> >

> IMHO the only possibility how this could fix it is that this is a bug in gtk.
> On the other hand it would explain that it works for me -

Better not say "it works for me". You can't be sure unless you've got some
stresstest script already.  With just a simple manual test like copying a
few thousand images to the working dir, it may not be easy to reproduce.
It's not a crash that's easy to reproduce, but something racy or a
corner-case, and some users have been hit by it (also in the bug tracker).
And vflist_setup_iter_recursive is recursive, so making it a bit more
simple was an obvious attempt.

> I probably have a different gtk version.

$ rpm -q gtk2 glib2
gtk2-2.24.11-1.fc17.x86_64
glib2-2.32.4-1.fc17.x86_64

Geeqie 1.0 has crashed several distribution releases before already. Not
for me. Until I've adjusted my usage patterns after reading how bug
reporters use it.

Oh, I might give any recent openSUSE release a try, too, if time permits. :)

Eventually, I'll need to find out how Geeqie 1.1 compares with 1.0 patched,
so applying individual patches one by one may be necessary. It might be
a combination of more than one patches. Watch this spec %changelog entry:

  * Sun Oct 16 2011 Michael Schwendt - 1.0-13
  - Cherry-pick a few commits (from Vladimir Nadvornik, Klaus Ethgen
    and Vladislav Naumov). With the modified filelist_sort_compare_filedata
     method, Geeqie passes another stress test I've created in order
    to track down rare file_data_unref crashes.

  * Tue Aug 09 2011 Michael Schwendt - 1.0-11
  - Patch another place where not to exif_free_fd NULL ptr (#728802).

  * Fri Apr 15 2011 Michael Schwendt - 1.0-10
  - Let's see how we do with a simpler vflist_setup_iter_recursive().

So, according to my changelog, the modified filelist_sort_compare_filedata
method has added further stability, too.
However, if 1.1 crashes again, either something's missing, or it's some
new bug, ... and I hope we'll figure it out. I'll send updates to this topic,
hopefully prior to this weekend.

--
Fedora release 17 (Beefy Miracle) - Linux 3.5.0-2.fc17.x86_64
loadavg: 0.05 0.12 0.15