Ian Zimmerman <itz@...> writes:

xsdg> Ian: what is your usecase?  You jumped into the technical issues
xsdg> immediately, but as far as I can tell, you haven't actually
xsdg> explained what you're trying to accomplish.

Ian> I think I mentioned it but probably too briefly, so I don't mind
Ian> explaining in more detail.

I found a workaround: I can define an "external editor" that exectues
the desired command with the pathname as an argument.

I don't consider my itch fully scratched, though, as this obviously only
works for a small and fixed set of commands.  I really don't want to
configure a new editor each time a new command comes up.

I think making this a configurable option may be the simplest and best
way.  Anyone else with an opinion?

Ian