Got it.  Sort of.

OK. If I select (highlight) a given *.NEF x-nikon-nef file inside geeqie
and then send it to UFRaw instead of gimp I can manipulate the image in
UFRaw.  Once I have the image looking as best I can make in in
UFRaw-------------------------------------I can then send it to Gimp by
clicking a gimp icon in the lower right hand corner of the UFRaw window.

This accomplishes what I wanted.  It would have taken me days to figure
this out on my own.

I depend on geeqie.  It's wonderful software.   Best way to quickly browse
through large directories of recently exposed raw image files.  Perhaps the
Gimp developers should figure out how to make geeqie a front end image
browsing plugin for gimp.

Thank you all.

On Sun, Sep 21, 2014 at 7:43 PM, Ian Zimmerman <i...@buug.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Sep 2014 03:03:57 +0200,
> Jon Senior <j...@restlesslemon.co.uk> wrote:
>
> Jon> I think that since nef files need to be passed through dcraw (or
> Jon> ufraw if you want a GUI.), gimp pays as much attention to your
> Jon> passing it a nef as it would to a word document. On my computer,
> Jon> geeqie doesn't list gimp as an option for camera raw files but
> Jon> offers ufraw... from where you can send the image to gimp. Direct
> Jon> raw support in gimp is a few versions away as I understand it.
>
> I thought of this too but he did say it worked when he renamed the file
> to *.tif.  Which makes a bit of sense because many RAW formats are
> actually variants on TIFF.
>
> gimp would still see only 8 bits of each pixel color value, though.
> Definitely not the ideal tool for handling them.
>
> --
> Local Variables:
> mode:claws-external
> End:

/*  Colin (Sandy) Pittendrigh  >--oO0> */