Ruby works for more than just the simple timing CPU. See
http://www.gem5.org/Status_Matrix.

I'm sure there are hierarchical topologies involving busses which make
them less of a bottleneck. I wasn't thinking of anything in particular.
Busses in gem5 will be as much of a bottleneck as they are in real
systems, more or less. If you want something more sophisticated you can
add your own interconnect model or use Ruby.

Gabe