Well, there it is.

It took me much longer than I expected, although that's partly due to the
jubilee holiday festivities, but finally I came up with something.  The
contents are limited to general / ant / commons because they're the only dev
lists I follow, and the items were chosen on an arbitrary basis (thread size
>=10).

So is it worth bothering with each month? Feedback wanted! :)

If it is to continue:

1) Should we have an archive on the web site (xdoc copy attached as my +1)

2) Which list should it post to? - its aimed at people that aren't
subscribed to too many of the lists so announcements seems the most likely
current option, although maybe a separate newsletter@ would be the way
forward - eitherway I'd guess replies should go to general@.

3) Editors for the various sections will be required - I'm sure I didn't do
commons justice and editing is far from what I'm good at anyway - so please
step forward if you want to edit for a project.

4) I guess I'll put out a request for content around the 28th and aim to
release in the week of July 1st.

Enjoy,

Rob

Oh, and I'm sorry that I didn't reference the EyeBrowse archive - wanted to
but kept getting timeouts when fishing for links on friday.
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<document>
    <properties>
        <author email="[EMAIL PROTECTED]">Rob J. Oxspring</author>
        <title>Jakarta Newsletter - May 2002 - #0</title>
    </properties>

<section name="Jakarta Newsletter">
<b>Issue:</b> 0
<b>Date:</b> May 2002
A Jakarta newsletter has been mentioned a few times on the general list and so I figured it was high time that one was produced.  The discussions previously seemed to settle on a monthly affair with a a regular change of editorship.  The aim is that for the future, different people will take over different sections for a limited period so that nobody gets bogged down with the chore unless they want to - some lists may have a series of volunteers step up, other projects may choose to add newsletter editing as a regular responsibility for each of their active committers.</p>
Rob Oxspring
<subsection name="Contents">
</subsection>
</section>

<section name="General">
This month saw the first ever veto of a new committer in the Tomcat subproject.
[<a href="#1">1</a>]

The resulting threads from this discussed how much a person should have to do before being given committer rights
[<a href="#2">2</a>]
and what they should have had to do.  This in turn lead to a proposed rethink of the current rights and roles at Jakarta - can non-coders be committers? should people be given voting rights without CVS access? - should they be given CVS access without the hassle of voting rights?  The answers seemed to be probably, possibly and probably not respectively
[<a href="#3">3</a>]

On a similar note, there was a brief look at how best to welcome and nurture volunteers to keep Jakarta growing and progressing
[<a href="#4">4</a>]

Related to the infrastructure and to project activity, Maven was advocated by Jon Scott Stevens as a build system we should all be using.  The ensuing flame war included a lot of Centipede vs Maven, XSL vs Velocity, and other Ego clashes.  The result seems to have been that some commons projects have switched to maven and that several people have begun to think about what is and isn't provided by the Forest / Gump / Maven / Centipede projects - Surely good things will come.
Instead  of pointing to specific threads here I'll just suggest that you search the archives for the countless threads along the lines of "Quick! convert all your projects to maven!", "You make the decision", "You guys are so funny", and "[PROPOSAL] Centaven and Friends".

Should database related technology have its own Apache project? the theme of a language per project at Apache could be lost, but is this a problem? Read the full thread [<a href="#11">11</a>] and see what you think.

<subsection name="Ant">
Ever wanted to slap some build information into a splash screen? well the ImageManip task from Kevin Z Grey will allow all this and more [<a href="#21">21</a>].
Should ant default to 1.1 compatible byte code even when using Java 1.4 which takes a different default?[<a href="#26">26</a>]

</subsection>

<subsection name="Commons">

Ever wondered about the differences between Latka and Anteater? Ivelin Ivanov did and sparked off an informative discussion on how the alternatives compare [<a href="#30">30</a>].

The Log4J people want to add features using some commons code, but this depends on commons logging which  causes problems both philosophical and technical.  See the discussion [<a href="#31">31</a>] for the proposed solutions to the problem.

The pool guys are have bumped into the old problem of deprecation and wanting to change the signatures of some methods.  The decision seemed to be that the change is ok, but the issue of compatibility with Java 1.4 cropped up again too [<a href="#32">32</a>].

</subsection>

</section>

</document>