On Sun, Mar 19, 2006 at 09:51:40PM +0000, robert burrell donkin wrote:
> On 3/19/06, Geir Magnusson Jr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > What we'll probably do is run it like we're running Harmony.  The list
> > of committers on the proposal are the people we expect to show up, but
> > we won't be creating accounts by default - we'll need to have each
> > person say "yes, I'm ready and will be contributing immediately" before
> > making the account for them.
>
> this seems a useful tradition: is it too early to codified this into policy?

Yeah, very much so. If Geir hadn't been running around like crazy for the
first few months to handle the incoming patch stream it would not have
worked. I think Harmony has 7 or so mentors who are all ASF members, which
is quite a luxury.

We also had an "excuse" of sorts to not set up accounts (eg it wasn't a
completely concious decision from a "community" perspective) -- we wanted
to sort out some of the legal stuff first. This made things easier to
explain.

We were also (deliberately) starting from scratch, whereas most projects
around here start from a single existing codebase, and that is also a big
difference. You can't just go and bring a bunch of people from an existing
project in and remove their commit karma. I haven't committed anything to
excalibur in months (I think) but I would be somewhat unhappy if a move to
the FooBar organisation would mean I'd lose commit access (I use the code
and sometimes I find a problem and then I want to just commit the fix to
trunk).

I think its sometimes a useful tradition to just go and do what seems right
rather than what people wrote down as policy as long as you comply with the
spirit and intent of the policy and don't mess up any of the tricky bits
(like all the legal ones). But that is not so easily "codified" and perhaps
as a "written policy" can lead to problems.

LSD