On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 9:23 PM, Bryant Luk <bryant....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Leo,
>
> Thanks for the links.  One general comment I have is that I understand
> this is part of the incubation process (and no offense intended to Leo
> since obviously taking energy and time for this) but if I can't look
> and see if other Apache projects are doing things the right way, I
> think we should have more examples of what goes in the NOTICE and
> LICENSE files and points out licenses/situations/projects/wording that
> require that they be put in LICENSE/NOTICE files and not.  It seems to
> be a common sticking point on this list for incubator projects.  I
> would put up a patch for the website but obviously I am still
> learning.

>>> I think you're suggesting a different LICENSE/NOTICE for source versus
>>> binary distributions.
>>
>> Yep, I see how it looks like that....though maybe I'm _really_
>> suggesting a source-only distribution :-)
>>
>> Look, the general rule is quite simple: LICENSE files MUST contain all
>> the license information that applies to an artifact, and SHOULD
>> contain only the license information that applies to that artifact.
>> Similarly, NOTICE files MUST contain all the notices that apply to an
>> artifact, and SHOULD contain only the notice information that applies
>> to that artifact.
>>
>> Whenever you violate that SHOULD, you are turning lazyness/sloppiness
>> into a mess for your users.
>>
>> For example, with this current wink distribution, you are (appear to
>> be?) passing on a lot of CDDL obligations down to wink users, which is
>> annoying to users that care about such things. If all your user wants
>> to do is copy/paste the glue code from GzipHandler, that's a rather
>> heavy license to wade through. Similarly, that user of that
>> GzipHandler code now has to copy/paste the entire contents of the
>> NOTICE file.
>>
>> Do you really want to place a burden on your users like that?
>
> I wouldn't, however just out of curiosity, how does this apply with
> Section 4.4 of the Apache license?
>
> "If the Work includes a "NOTICE" text file as part of its
> distribution, then any Derivative Works that You distribute must
> include a readable copy of the attribution notices contained within
> such NOTICE file, excluding those notices that do not pertain to any
> part of the Derivative Works, in at least one of the following places:
> within a NOTICE text file distributed as part of the Derivative
> Works;"...
>
> I would consider that a copied portion of just the Apache Wink code to
> be a Derivative Work, and none of the other NOTICE attributions (CDDL)
> apply to the user (hence excluding those notices so their NOTICE file
> is relatively brief).  I'm not a lawyer but just want some
> clarification for this "use case" for personal knowledge.
>
>>> I did some random checking looking at some
>>> source versus binary Apache project distributions (incubator and
> [...]

I agree with Leo that the LICENSE/NOTICE files in these source
artifacts have unnecessary contents but I also agree with you in what
you point out about section 4.4 of the license and i'm still +1 for
this release, though it would be good to try to remove some of it in a
next release. I expect you'll get a different answer from each person
you ask on whats needed in the NOTICE file, for the SLF4J question
there's a thread [1] and legal JIRA [2] that I think imply you
probably don't really need anything for SLF4J.

   ...ant

[1]
http://apache.markmail.org/message/u66o5ucyfquxjl7i?q=LEGAL-59+order:date-forward&page=1
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-59