On Sat, Jun 4, 2011 at 12:45 AM, Greg Stein <gst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 22:25,  <robert_w...@us.ibm.com> wrote:
>> Simon,
>>
>> Could you say a little of when you had in mind with this segment:
>>
>> "potentially highly complementary focus on the GNU/Linux community as well
>> as on Windows and Mac consumer end-users"
>>
>> By one definition, "complementary" means non-overlapping, pieces that are
>
> I find the query to be pedantic. We are not formulating a
> multi-national standards agreement here. Words are just words, and
> this is just a proposal to the Incubator PMC. Throw them on "paper"
> and move along.

It is important that we form a common understanding on what we are
voting on.  I don't want some participants to be voting on a proposal
with one understanding that there will be no overlap and subsequently
to be surprised when their understanding does not match what actually
is done.

> Simon's statement seemed pretty clear: LibreOffice complements
> anything that we do here at Apache. There is no need for additional
> constraint or precision. It gets across the basic concept.

LibreOffice complements anything we do here at Apache to those who
agree with the license terms under which LibreOffice is made
available.  Until or unless we resolve that issue, I feel that the
statement above would need to be both qualified in this manner and
extended to enumerate other complements that might apply in other
situations.

> Cheers,
> -g
>
> "It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is"
>  -- Mr Clinton

Cute quote, but the license question still remains.

- Sam Ruby