On Sat, Jun 4, 2011 at 10:38 AM, Andreas Kuckartz <a.kucka...@ping.de> wrote:
> Am 04.06.2011 16:00, schrieb Sam Ruby:
>> While other choices may make sense depending on the
>> specific circumstances, a necessary consequence of making a choice
>> that does not cast the widest possible net is fragmentation.
>
> I do not know if that is a "valid perspective" or not, but I think that
> the categorical statement ("necessary consequence") contained in it is
> false.
>
> The license used for the Linux kernel certainly does not cast the widest
> possible net but I do not see significant fragmentation, quite the
> contrary. There is essentially one and the same kernel used by (almost)
> all Linux distributions (with rather small modifications).

Much of the Apache Software Foundation infrastructure is run on
FreeBSD.  OS/X is built upon a similar base.

If we wish to join forces (and to be clear, that's my preferred
option) it behoves us to enable the Darwins of the world.  Alternately
(and NOT my preferred option) lets decide that we are pursuing
separate goals and find other ways to support each other.

> (Generally: When a net is to wide it can get teared up.)

The problem with all analogies is that they are fundamentally flawed. :-)

> Cheers,
> Andreas

- Sam Ruby