On Sat, Jun 4, 2011 at 11:41 AM, Ian Lynch <ianrly...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Fact: Oracle donated the code to ASF, not to TDF. It's just the way it is
> not a value judgement.
>
> Fact: Copyleft license can be derived from Apache but not the other way
> round
>
> Fact: TDF have some very able people some of whom will not want to work on
> non- CL code
>
> Fact: ASF will not change its license
>
> Given these it seems certain to me that there will be two projects. Its up
> to the players to makes sure that they thrive rather than die. I believe we
> can do this so let's just do it.

There are a few reasons to not jump to this conclusion just yet, not
the least of which is that the ASF has not even voted to accept this
project for incubation.  It is also possible that there are enough TDF
people who are willing to accept the Apache License and would prefer
that these codebases not further diverge.

That being said, if we do (however reluctantly) come to the point
where we need to make the conclusion you described above, lets see if
we can work together to produce a joint statement to that effect.

In particular, lets put all past mistakes in what each of has said (or
failed to say) publicly behind us.

- Sam Ruby