On Sat, Jun 4, 2011 at 1:44 PM, William A. Rowe Jr. <wr...@rowe-clan.net> wrote:

> You could ask these questions of RedHat management, or Novell management,
> but in asking this of "open source management" suggests to me that there
> is a serious disconnect in your understanding of meritocratic, open source
> software development as practiced at the ASF, at least.

If these questions were directed to the ASF, I would feel empowered to
answer them on behalf of the foundation in my role of VP, Legal
Affairs.

I will also note that some of my answers would differ from yours.  In
particular, I would point out that we require an ICLA before anybody
becomes a committer, and I would also point out the relevant portions
of the Apache License, Version 2.0 that covers contributions that may
come in via mailing lists and bug tracking systems.

> So what I wanted to communicate to you is that asking these questions of
> "the Management of TDF Project" is insulting to the i
ndividual members
> of their community.  This poll is written to divide and put stakes in the
> ground, not to find common ground.  This ASF incubation effort begs for
> some contribution by those same individuals, so your questionnaire seems
> counterproductive and destined to add antagonism, rather than remove some,
> and I'd suggest you withdraw it.

Our emails may have crossed in the ether.  My suggestion is that I
take ownership of this question.  I will state that I do not plan to
proceed via this questionnaire.

- Sam Ruby