>> And thought, if an upcoming podling is deciding to become a TLD it
>> should ask the board to sponsor it.
>> Now I have been told from Andrus that this is not the case and usually
>> the Incubator is sponsoring TLD projects.
>
> Yes, as I said on the board list I don't remember the board sponsoring
> incubating projects recently.

thanks for repeating it here, b/c i realized i was not subscribed yet
(fixed it now, but missed your reply)

>>...how is the way to have the
>> Incubator as a sponsor? Just asking? Just adding to the proposal? ...
>
> Yes, just add it and people will complain if they see a problem.

OK will do.

>> ...If this is the case, then is "Champion" obsolete? Actually I was always
>> doubting this role a bit....
>
> The champion is a person, while the sponsor is a PMC - what makes you
> think the champion role is obsolete?

What actually does a Champion do? Docs say he helps with finding a sponsor...

A project can put the name "Incubator" as a sponsor as you said and
see what happens. If somebody thinks on general@ a project fits
perfectly to another one, then he probably says it. Therefore I really
don't see the need for a role like a champion.

If you ask me, I would delete the whole champion thing from the docs
and rephrase the link I sent to: ask an existing project to sponsor
you or put incubator into the sponsoring section.

Learning the apache way is what mentors usually help with

Christian

http://www.grobmeier.de