On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 5:56 PM, Bertrand Delacretaz
<bdelacre...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 5:46 PM, Martijn Dashorst
> <martijn.dasho...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> IMO the champion helps clarify the incubator process up to acceptance
>> of the podling into the incubator. For example the champion for Wicket
>> was not a singular person, but both Alex Karasulu and Upayavira were
>> both very instrumental in smoothing our transition into the incubator.
>>
>> general@ can be very confusing and sometimes even hostile towards new
>> podlings. Having a champion watching out for the podling is rather
>> useful....
>
> Agreed, IMO the role of the champion is to help the podling get
> started (which might include help find a sponsor, mentors etc) and
> they might only follow things from afar once that's done.

So, why do we need a role for that?

I rarely see the call "We need a champion" on the mailinglsit. So I
assume that these persons are somehow connected to the project before.
Or they read the draft-proposal and contact people directly.

At the moment it looks as it is required to have a Champion. I don't
think so. It should be optional, if we really need such a role. I
still doubt. Instead, a Champion is more or less the first mentor a
project has. It should be called Mentor (or initial mentor) to avoid
to much unnecessary terms.

In fact, with DirectMemory I have felt it led all to more confusion
than it was helpful.

Help finding a sponsor - default sponsor is Incubator PMC. There is no
real need of it.
Help finding mentors - an email to general usually is enough to make people act.

Cheers,
Christian

http://www.grobmeier.de