The ASF exists to produce software for the public good. Its software is
its primary (only?) asset.

Therefore, it needs to be in control of this asset, and that means being
in control of the revision control tools used to maintain it.

This means that whatever revision control is used, it must be managed by
the Foundation.

As to whether Git can be used, we have an experiment happening. Folks
who want to see Git adopted can help with that experiment.

Upayavira