I apologize if my choice of words here engendered a belief that I was
trying to hold mentors to a new standard.

The IPMC has been discussing the problem of mentors who don't do their
job. I'm trying to approach this problem from the front end, instead
of waiting for it to be a problem later on.

I have no problem with someone starting out as a mentor. *I* started
out as a mentor not too long ago. But as an IPMC member, I'd like to
know the experience profiles of mentors.

I'm also trying, more pointedly, to head off the 'AWOL mentor' problem
by asking mentors to think about, and state, the commitment they are
making.