Hey folks,

I just wanted to chime in with a +1 for the general direction. I think
there's actually a lot of work to do to iron out how to reorganize
things. Before digging in, I suggest we abstract out a little bit to
see if we have consensus on the overall goals and desired end state
before starting to debate the details, or the process by which to get
there.

1) There are people who produce guides, rules and policy that describe
the incubation process. These rules are then imposed on other groups
at apache by board decree.
2) At any point in time, there shall be many groups of people
following the incubation process.
3) There is a mechanism in place to provide oversight over all the
different ongoing incubations.
4) The differences between communities going through incubation and
those that aren't is clear and understood by all (including end users,
press, etc).

I think the above invariants describe both incubation as of yesterday
and incubation as of tomorrow. But, we have some issues with the
current incubator.

a) The volume of incubation activity has grown such that oversight is difficult.
b) Large group sizes (particularly general@ and IPMC roster) make
accountability and consensus-building difficult.
c) meritocracy is hampered by having the people doing the work not
having binding votes on their own work.
d) ... <<add your own similar issues>> ...

The basic realization is that combining all the people from 1) and 2)
into effectively one big group [1] is no longer the best idea.

So, we want to redesign how we organize into groups, and associated
with that we want to tune our oversight mechanisms.

The basic idea is to split the current single really big group that is
the incubator into smaller groups that still cooperate and discuss and
whatnot, but are accountable and overseen separately. These smaller
groups become their own committees with their own VPs that report to
the Board.

Is that a reasonable re-statement of the abstract idea? Is that
something we can all get behind?

The next steps then involve deciding just how to split things up.
Since I'm off to go skiing tomorrow I won't be around next week to
participate in the details of all that. Have fun :-)

cheerio,

Leo

[1] the choice of the vague term 'group' is intentional: give us some
degrees of freedom to design the structure, in a formal *and* an
informal sense. One kind of group is a PMC, but there's also another
kind of group which is "people subscribed to a mailing list" and
another one "people that read the stuff that's on the mailing list"
and another which is "people who feel responsible for what's going on
on that mailing list", etc.