Hi,

On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 3:52 PM, Karl Wright <daddy...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Our mentor(s) are pushing strongly for a source release (which
> contains the upstream patches), plus a "lib" release, which is to be
> overlaid on the source release to allow it to build.

I wouldn't call it "strongly", rather as just one possible solution
that can be implemented in the short term without significant impact
on the existing codebase. The other alternatives being suggested
seemed quite a bit more complicated.

> I much preferred a source release and a convenience source+lib release,
> but that caused significant objections, so I gave up.

My main objection here is that the official source release should be
readily buildable. If the build instructions are essentially "take
that other package and build it instead", then IMHO in practice that
other package is the one that's being released.

Personally I'd be fine with the source package containing required
binary dependencies, but since others will likely -1 release
candidates like that, I don't see how a convenience package like that
would pass review.

BR,

Jukka Zitting