> On Jun 25, 2019, at 9:49 PM, Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com.INVALID> wrote:
>

> On 6/24/19, 9:12 AM, "Roman Shaposhnik" <ro...@shaposhnik.org> wrote:
>
>> What kinds of policy violations truly affect the legal shield if the
>> non-compliance:
>
>    You're asking the wrong question. You're still asking the TLP question.
>
> I'm asking the TLP question to understand how big the difference is between
> TLP and Podlings.

Please note that the only legal structure in this discussion is a PMC. The
Bylaws have no concept of a podling nor a "top level project", although we tend
to use the terms TLP and PMC interchangeably.

Now a podling is NOT a PMC because, again, the bylaws are clear on what
constitutes a PMC and how one is created.

The Incubator itself is a PMC.

Now let's talk about podling releases... When the IPMC votes on accepting a
podling release, and it passes, my opinion is that the Incubator takes on the
resultant legal obligations associated w/ any PMC doing a release. Now the
podling releases themselves are noted and described as "not GA" and "not
official", et.al. but this is, again IMO, simply to make it clear to anyone who
is downloading and using the software that the expectations normally associated
with "regular" Apache releases do not apply, such that there could be some
licensing issues, etc, that would be verboten in "official" releases, but may
exist here. In other words: this is a podling release; expect issues and
mistakes and churn.

The IPMC vote is not, and should not be, some sort of secondary QA test, some
sort of verification of validity: it exists, IMO, simply so that the podling
(and its contributors) can enjoy the legal protection under the Incubator
"umbrella" when they do a release.

Cheers!