Releasing an Apache project (artifact) requires community oversight.
The released artifact going to an FTP server, Maven central. or other
location is a separate concern.

The website describing the projects, its news, etc is less of an
artifact - more of a living document about the community.

At Apache Karaf we keep our website code on a git repo
https://github.com/apache/karaf-site, with the appropriate lock downs
to ensure only those with the correct Karma can update the website.