On Wed, 27 Mar 2002, Ceki Gülcü wrote:

> At 10:15 27.03.2002 -0800, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >The goal is not to be able to change the logger at compile time, but to be
> >able to detect the platform logger and use it. The only way to do that is
> >via a standard API - and commons-logging seems to be the only standard for
> >logging that we have, supported ( mostly unwillingly :-) on all logging
> >implementations. If you are concerned about the user experience with
> >commons-logging and log4j, the best way to resolve that is by
> >participating in commons-logging and implementing it in log4j so that
> >log4j will work best with commons-logging.
>
> Rodney argued that the goal was to make commons components
> non-intrusive with respect to logging.

Well, there are more than 2 goals :-)

> If the goal is to detect (or guess) at run time the logging API to
> use, then this will only increase uncertainty and confusion. I know of
> a few frameworks (no, I won't tell you the names) that do this and it
> does not provide for a pleasant experience. Even I had trouble to set
> up logging and just gave up.

No, 'detecting/guessing' is not a goal - it's just one possible
implementation - for the goal of allowing multiple implementations.

The goal here is to support multiple logging _implemementations_,
and provide a common/standard API for components to use.

By 'standard API' I mean the same thing as SAX - if you use SAX
your code will work with any parser that implements the SAX API.

It's certain that each parser ( and logger ) may have some better
internal APIs.

> To be brutally honest, I think the commons-logging approach is counter
> productive. It may seem like the politically correct thing to do but
> it will increase complexity and prove to be unproductive in the long
> run.  I thank you for the invitation to participate in the

I don't know any alternative to commons-logging. If you know any, I would
be happy to learn about it. Without an alternative, the only possible
approach is to improve commons-logging.

Using log4j API and doing 'string replace' if you want to use another
logger is absurd, I hope you weren't serious about proposing that.

Unfortunately JDK1.4 logging API is not useable as a 'standard' for
logging, and no other accepted standard exist (AFAIK).

We have multiple logging implementations, and the only solution I know
is to use an API that works will all of them. I don't know what's
'conter productive' about it, it worked fine for SAX.

Costin