On Thu, 28 Mar 2002, Ceki Gülcü wrote:

> True. It does encourage it, but only initially. On the long run,
> however, people will run into problems with their logging (as is
> happening now). They will say this commons-logging+log4j stuff is too
> complicated, we'll switch to JDK 1.4 logging, at least that does not

And you are the only one who can make commons-logging + log4j to be
the best solution on the long run.

By implementing and maintaining the log4j implementation of
commons-logging.

The API is a subset of log4j, and if you really want to help the users
all you have to do is take ownership of a log4j implementation of
commons-logging.

It doesn't even have to be included in commons-logging, it is
better if each log4j impl. had it's own implementation of the wrapper,
possibly taking advantage of new features, etc.

Costin