No.  You may be able to change the JavaCC grammar we use and rebuild
Velocity, though i haven't tried that myself.

You've probably already found that \$reference and \#macroOrDirective
escaping is unwieldy, especially for doing two rendering passes where
the contexts are different.  If you don't want to rebuild Velocity,
then you could use more robust escaping by putting a $ and # (e.g.
under the keys 'D' and 'H') in the context for your first pass and
replacing the $ and #  that need to survive the first pass with ${D}
and ${H}.  (or if you use the EscapeTool, this would be ${esc.d} and
${esc.h}).