The xml-site CVS module is about to be migrated to SVN shortly. This has
some effects on website deployment for websites under
http://xml.apache.org. Currently, all the generated websites are
uploaded under the targets directory in the xml-site repository and
updated on cvs.apache.org using a CVS update.

I strongly suggest to the Xerces and Xalan projects to deploy their
subproject websites under their subdomain and instead add ".htaccess"
files under xml.apache.org, like the other TLP-promoted projects have
done, to redirect visitors to the new location. Examples of .htaccess
files can be found for FOP, Batik, Cocoon, Forrest etc. FOP's .htaccess
file looks like this:

RedirectPermanent /fop http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop

Using Forrest 0.7 to create the xml.apache.org site and having had good
experiences for the XML Graphics and FOP sites, I'm going to change the
xml.apache.org deployment to use (local) ForrestBot. The generated site
will not be committed to the SVN repository anymore, but directly
uploaded using SCP to cvs.apache.org:/www/xml.apache.org. If someone
doesn't agree with that, please tell me. The other subproject sites can
still be uploaded to the targets directory (only now through SVN which
will take some manual work on minotaur).

As soon as the SVN migration is completed I'm going to:
- update the xml.apache.org site
- remove the obsolete FOP website from the targets directory.
- remove the obsolete SOAP website (now found here: http://ws.apache.org/soap/)
- remove the obsolete XMLBeans website (now found here:
http://xmlbeans.apache.org/)
- document the new deployment process
- help anyone who gets stuck

I won't touch the other XML subproject sites unless asked to.

The xml.apache.org site will be located here after the migration:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/xml/site/

Check out using: svn co https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/xml/site/

Jeremias Maerki