Two reasons:
- One step less for publishing the site. Because the whole process is so
complicated and annoying people tend not to do anything. That's bad.
- I don't like storing generated files in version control. It makes no
sense IMO.

I agree that reverting changes may be a little bit more difficult, but
with ForrestBot regenerating the site is a no-brainer. No hard feelings
if we go back to committing the generated site to SVN but I don't like
it.

On 13.10.2005 09:48:32 David Crossley wrote:
> Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> >
> > Using Forrest 0.7 to create the xml.apache.org site and having had good
> > experiences for the XML Graphics and FOP sites, I'm going to change the
> > xml.apache.org deployment to use (local) ForrestBot.
>
> Great.
>
> > The generated site
> > will not be committed to the SVN repository anymore, but directly
> > uploaded using SCP to cvs.apache.org:/www/xml.apache.org. If someone
> > doesn't agree with that, please tell me.
>
> What is the reason for doing that?
>
> For any projects that i have worked on, we have
> remained with storing the generated docs in SVN.
> It seems more efficient.
>
> Also that is what infra wanted. It makes it possible
> to restore a site easily. The people at [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> are trying to work out better ways of publishing sites,
> but not happened yet.
>
> There are a couple of problems with doing stuff via scp.
> One is that it uploads every doc, even if not changed.
> Also it is harder to revert a change if we stuff up.
>
> Even though i don't agree with using SCP, i am not
> going to suggest changing it. What you have done does
> work okay and xml-site is a small site and is not
> receiving lots of changes.
>
> Still, i am interested to know why you think SCP
> is better.
>
> -David

Jeremias Maerki