Tres Melton posted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, excerpted
below,  on Mon, 03 Oct 2005 00:49:29 -0600:

> However, this is going to take a couple of weeks to write entirely in
> bash so that it is both portable and can be used on the most minimal of
> systems.

Imagine seeing /you/ here!  =8^)

Portability is good, but as I've been reading Diego "Flameeyes" various
posts as he struggles to get Gentoo/FBSD up and running, and with
Gentoo/Darwin and etc. in mind, I'm sure one of the requests is going to
be making it full borne shell standard compatible, therefore, no
"bash-isms".

Likewise, keep in mind POSIX compatibility when making any
sed/grep/file/etc calls.  Don't assume the GNU versions.  If you need the
info, I believe most of the manpages specify where the GNU versions
deviate from POSIX.  I'm sure Flameeyes will be glad to help, as it'll
mean less porting issues he and others  need to worry about later.