On Mon, 01 Jan 2007 13:24:49 -0800
Donnie Berkholz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> That means that the base profiles must have a minimal setting that is
> added to in lower profiles, rather than a reasonable default that's
> entirely reset in lower profiles (perhaps to a smaller setting),
> correct?

It would mean that all USE_EXPANDed variables get stacked in the same
way that USE does. The base profile defines a set of defaults, which
gets flags added to or removed from it in other profiles. At present,
from what zmedico told me, it's handled in a weird manner which
essentially does half the job, letting you add flags but not remove
them in subprofiles.