On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 5:43 AM, Markos Chandras <hwoar...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> Outsource it to someone who has the knowledge and interest in doing
> this. The foundation has the funds to support it, and none of us
> actually have the time to invest in a complete webpage redesign.

Before we considered undertaking this, we need somebody with a
long-term Gentoo commitment (preferably a dev or docs team member, or
even forum moderators or similar role) who would be in a leadership
position.  You don't just hire somebody and point them at your website
and say, "make it better."  I'd like to see somebody with
passion/vision leading this rather than the collective groans of the
mailing lists (valid as they may be).

To be useful it needs to be maintained as well.

If bringing in a professional is what it takes to get us over the hump
into sustainability then I'm all for it.  However, I don't think we
have all our bases covered yet.  We might find that once we address
the long-term care of our site the need to bring in a professional
goes away. However, if we get a vibrant team together to care for the
site I'm sure the Trustees will weigh their recommendations heavily.
We generally don't bikeshed - if infra says they need to replace a
hard drive we pay for it.  If the web site had a similar team caring
for it I'm sure we'd work with them, and likely let them lead the
interviews as well.

As a volunteer distro the first preference is of course that we fix
things ourselves.  However, I fully recognize that good web
development is a skillset.

Rich