On 9/21/13 1:19 PM, Mike Gilbert wrote:
> I wasn't able to reproduce this in qemu. It is possible that GRUB's
> graphical terminal driver has some issues with VMWare.
>
> However, have a Gentoo box at work that runs GRUB2 on VMWare ESX, and
> I don't recall having any display issues on the console. But I'm also
> not chainloading it there.

Thanks for testing this. I've tried without chainloading and it was also
broken.

However, I got it to work later, and there are at least two solutions:

1. In /etc/default/grub, uncomment GRUB_TERMINAL=console line and re-run
grub2-mkconfig.

2. In /etc/default/grub, add GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=text line and re-run
grub2-mkconfig.

Actually Arch wiki article mentions something very similar:
<https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB2#Disable_framebuffer>

Also, it seems worth it to add to the guide info about how to roll back
just in case. Running grub-install /dev/sda works just fine (it invokes
grub legacy as opposed to grub2).

Then, looking at Arch wiki article, it's probably a good idea to make
backup:
<https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB2#Backup_important_data> . I
recommend adding this to our guide.

Paweł