On Friday 17 August 2007, Wang, Baojun wrote:
>   I'm trying to build a pure 64bit cross toolchain for mips64 on a x86(x86
> or x86_64) host, using the following method:

by "pure" do you mean you only want the n64 ABI ?

> 1. set PORTATE_OVERLAY in /etc/make.conf
>
>         echo "PORTDIR_OVERLAY=/usr/local/portage" >> /etc/make.conf

OK

> 2. emerge crossdev
>
>         emerge -av crossdev

OK

> 3. select CTARGET (mips64el for instance here), Setup 'categories', set
>  proper package/use mask

why did you install crossdev only to turn around and not use it ?  all of
these manual steps you invoked crossdev does for you.  in fact, it's obvious
you read the file on my dev.g.o space but completely ignored the first
paragraph which said *use crossdev, dont do this by hand*.

please undo the things you've done by hand, unmask the n64 flag in
your /etc/portage dir like you showed, and then just run:
crossdev -t mips64el-unknown-linux-gnu

if you want specific versions, then use the options to crossdev
-mike