Jean-Marc Beaune wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been working with Microchip microcontrollers for some years
> developping in assembler and would like to switch to more advanced
> solutions (e.g. hosting a web interface to contrôle I/O, use TCP/IP to
> communicate with others, etc...) but still with microcontrollers because
> it's fast, light and small.

Microchip has quite a lot of very nice app notes. Hopefully, you are
using C and asm sparingly....

Which tcp/ip stack do you use on which pic micro?
Does it support simultaneous ethernet and ppp over a serial port?

> I've been using Gentoo for 4 years but only on computers (desktops and
> laptops and Soekris!).
>
> I'd like to start using Gentoo embedded to see how Linux could be
> installed on a µC.

Hmm, quite a jump from a minimalistic TCP/IP stack to embedded gentoo.

I like ARMs, for a wide variety of reasons. DSPic or the 24bit PICs
might be supported by uClinux, but, I have not seen a port of embedded
gentoo to any Microchip processor.....

> My question is what kind of hardware is the best to start with for a
> newbie like me (as I never installed a Linux embedded system)?

ARM or x86, in my opinion. Just so you know, Embedded Gentoo is just
one form of embedded linux. Often the vendors will provide an
'embedded linux' that is either sourcecode, executables, or a
combination. Not all embedded linux is the same. BEFORE you purchase,
especially if your goal is to run embedded 'gentoo' linux on the
dev board you purchase, make sure folks on this list have some
experience with it. Many vendors are quite 'murky' in spelling out
exactly what they offer.

I just got this board, to explore more about 'embedded gentoo linux'
myself:

http://www.emacinc.com/sbc_microcontrollers/ipac_9302.htm

> Thank you.
>
> Jean-Marc

Feel encourage to ask questions, so we can help you find what you are
looking for and help you avoid wasting money. Many vendors in the
'embedded linux space' are quite deceptive. Often they put their
'processors' on a FPGA so that you cannot get key information or
control over the hardware, without their (licensed consent). Therefore
I tend to recommend embedded development boards that have a discrete
microprocessor/microcontroller and a JTAG interface, as opposed to a
SOC, FPGA or other convoluted boards.

We use quite a few pics and atmel parts on boards....

James