I meant I'd like to be able to control my heating system via a web interface
(over the LAN or Internet). But that's only an example.

I already built a system to control the heating but it's standalone, I miss
the "web part", that's why I think embedded linux could do the trick, the
only problem I see is the hardware. I have a bunch of old print server such
as Axis or HP JetDirect equiped with Motorola µC, but I don't know if it's
possible to install Linux on it.