On Tue, Jul 11, 2006 at 02:46:48PM +0100, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I'm trying to install 2.6.16.1-pa4-livecd32 on an HP
> D360 box with a serial console.
>
> I first tried booting with all palo settings as
> default. i.e.
>
> Information: No console specified on kernel command
> line. This is normal.
> PALO will choose the console currently used by
> firmware (serial).Current command
>  line:
> 0/vmlinux initrd=initrd TERM=linux root=/dev/ram0
> init=/linuxrc cdroot looptype=
> squashfs loop=/image.squashfs hda=scsi hdb=scsi
> console=ttyB0
>  0: 0/vmlinux
>  1: initrd=initrd
>  2: TERM=linux
>  3: root=/dev/ram0
>  4: init=/linuxrc
>  5: cdroot
>  6: looptype=squashfs
>  7: loop=/image.squashfs
>  8: hda=scsi
>  9: hdb=scsi
> 10: console=ttyB0
>
> <#>    edit the numbered field
> 'b'    boot with this command line
> 'r'    restore command line
> 'l'    list dir
> ? 0
>
> It boots OK, but then the console seems to get messed
> up. (It's OK until login stage).  Sometimes characters
> don't echo, line feeds are all over the place, and the
> prompts are really irratic - it's like a getty is
> sharing the same console as a shell. :o/
>
> Example:
>
> Please report any bugs you find to
> http://bugs.gentoo.org. Be sure to include
> detailed information about how to reproduce the bug
> you are reporting.
> Thank you for using Gentoo Linux!
>
> livecd root #
>

> livecd root # ls
> livecd root # Login incorrect
>

> livecd login:
> livecd root #
> Password: pwd
> /root
> livecd root #
> Login incorrect
>
> ls
> livecd root #
> livecd login:

> I then tried booting with palo option 10 deleted. (No
> console option in boot command).  This time I got a
> stable console prompt, but it now wants a login and I
> don't have the password.  I see on a PC platform the
> user has to ctrl-alt-F1 to another console and use
> passwd to set the root password, but I can't do that
> in this case.

> This is livecd.gentoo (Linux parisc
> 2.6.15.1-pa4-livecd32) 13:23:49
>
> livecd login:

> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Graham.
> --

I had the same problem when I installed on my K200. What I ended up
doing was fighting with the console to get the root password changed and
sshd started. Once I had that (took on average over 20 minutes of
messing around), I just ssh'd in and did the install remotely. I never
could figure out why the login prompt keept appearing. I did notice a
pattern on when the login prompt appeared, and I just had to time my
passwd command to work between the login prompt cycles. You have to
trust the keyboard, and not the console ;-)