Thanks. I did that and the kernel compiled without trouble, but, at boot, I still get the error "cannot open root device". However, there is a difference: whereas the message said "unknown-block(0,0)", it now says "unknown-block(3,15)". So it would seem that the device numbers have changed.

You're probably using an Apple partitioning scheme. In order to read from Apple partitions, you'll need to have support for that in your kernel. Turn on: CONFIG_PARTITION_ADVANCED and CONFIG_MAC_PARTITION. In the future, to make kernel configuration more simple, you should do a "make defconfig" before configuration. This ensures that you have sane defaults set.

Good luck!
-Joe